As Texans along the coast prepare for potential severe property loss and risk injury or death if they don’t evacuate, is there any recourse. The answer is maybe.

First, some people have property insurance that covers theses losees but many do not. Generally, if you have a mortgage, the lender requires property insurance but many policies exclude damage from hurricanes or flooding. If this is the case specific hurricane insurance is necessary.

If you are a renter, you may have renters’ insurance. If you don’t, there may be potential liability on the part of your property owner if your home does not meet building codes. If a person stays in their home after a manditory evacuation they may have “assumed the risk” of injury but most evacuations are voluntary.

If you have sustained an injury, call a competent, experienced trial lawyer who will be up front and tell you if you have a legal basis for recovery.